KIWI106 dead LED panel

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
sys700
KIWI106 dead LED panel

I just got my Kiwi106 today. Installed without a hitch. Used the Vyzex software to transfer patches and mess around. Really nice!

Then I decided to update the firmware to 2.0. I'm using a Mac (10.10.4 Yosemite) with Uno interface (recommended interface). It would get halfway through the firmware upgrade and the software would crash.

I tried to update the firmware several times, but no luck, crashed the software everytime. I attempted to use the Boot.syx firmware update. It appeared to load very very fast then said the firmware transferred. But then my 106 wouldn't boot at all into any mode.

Thinking maybe it was a Mac issue, I used my PC laptop to attempt to load the firmware. Same issue. Software crash.

Now autosense can't detect my 106. I can't boot up the 106 by pressing LOAD while powering up. No LED's show on the front of the 106.

What a mess.

Psicraft Designs
Psicraft Designs's picture
Sorry to hear you are having issues

Hi sys700,

We've tested the bootloader update process pretty solidly on Windows and Mac, but I will admit that UNO and its Yosemite drivers is not one we torture tested. That combination in fact seems pretty horrible right now, as this online conversation indicates. (Basically it says ensure you are using the latest driver for Yosemite, in between all the howling and whining between the PC and Mac boys saying their side is best).

All Vyzex does is send the file to the MIDI interface-  there's not much more to it than that. I am contacting you via email so you can ship me your K-106 CPU board and I will give it a development system wipe and restore using my AVR tools.

In the meantime, I'll put up a warning on the FAQ and other locations about this product/OS Driver combination. 

Sorry you had to experience this.

Tony

Psicraft Designs
Question for you:

Can you power on your machine with the LOAD button held down and see the LOAD LED come on (indicating it is ready for an update)?

If so, I recommend you download snoize from their website and try sending the bootloader and program .SYX files that way. You'll find them installed to your user library under the Library\Application Support\Psicraft\Vyzex Kiwi-106\FW path.

If this doesn't work, we can do the hardware wipe and restore to get you back in action. Once again, I am sorry you are having these troubles.

Tony

sys700
No, the LOAD LED does not

No, the LOAD LED does not come on when I hold down the LOAD button. No LED's come on at all. I removed the KIWI106 board last night, and put my original board and processor back in. Works great now, but no KIWI106. Send me your address and I'll ship the board to you.

Psicraft Designs
OK!

Check your email... 

Tony

mauricesonne
KIWI106 dead LED panel

Hi,

I hope you understood me, i'm french user, i don't speek english very well.

Well, I think i have the same problem as "sys 700.

Recently, I updated the firmware 1.03 to 2.00, no problem, everything was ok (i use a Roland Quad Capture interface with windows 8)

Yesterday, i decided to updated to 2.01, I followed the same procedure , but at the end, when i turned back my juno there was just the lead "save button" lit on the panel of the juno.

I tried to update several times, and finally on the screen was displayed a "b". I decided to turn off and turn on again, and now I can't boot up the 106 by pressing LOAD while powering up. No LED's show on the front of the 106, autosense can't detect my 106.

What's happen?

Best regards

Valentin

Psicraft Designs
Did you use the v2.01 editor?

Hi Valentin,

If you used the v2.01 editor to apply the v2.01 update, it would have skipped the bootloader update step and gone straight to downloading the v2.01 program (v2.00 bootloader is the latest).

Any failure to update the program would not brick your 106 in this situation. If you used a different program to update the unit or sent an earlier bootloader file manually (from the optional send .syx file button in the update wizard) I can see it possibly having messed up your bootloader and therefore put you in this situation.

As for the Roland QuadCapture: As an audio interface with an additional MIDI port, it does not meet our recommended list of interfaces - Manufacturers do not always make these add-on ports as reliable for long SysEx messages as they would a dedicated USB MIDI interface such as the Roland UM line.

You will need to remove and send your Kiwi-106 CPU board to Kiwitechnics in New Zealand, or to me in Canada: Either of us have the tools to wipe the firmware and re-flash it with a development programmer. I will email you to arrange that.

Tony

Psicraft Designs
One last thing to try before you send...

You could try doing a factory restore powerup just in case some global parameters were corrupted in your attempts.

On a stock (no overlay) front panel, hold down the MANUAL and WRITE buttons while powering on the 106: This will clear all patches and reset the globals if your unit is healthy.

Otherwise, please check your email for my shipping address. You can alternatively send it to Kiwitechnics for this warranty service.

Tony

soundshaper
soundshaper's picture
One thing I would certainly

One thing I would certainly recommend to other Kiwi users who are attempting to update the bootloader and firmware...

Be sure that any other MIDI devices on your interface or Thru loop are turned OFF or the MIDI cables are unplugged. A device sending out Clock or Active Sensing data can corrupt your update as many intefaces (like my MOTU Timepieve AV) will merge incoming Clock data and some other data to ALL outputs. 

In other words, before updating, be sure that your Kiwi is the ONLY MIDI device talking to your MIDI interface.

Psicraft Designs
Very good advice!

I am going to add this wise advice to the QuickStart Help, User's Guide and even wedge it into the firmware upgrade wizard if / when the time comes to release another update to the Vyzex Kiwi-106 editor.

Thanks, SoundShaper!

Tony

unfinder
Bricked 106

Hi Tony,

I'm unfortunately having the same experience.  I made several attempts with the Mac version of the package, and after some very fiddly results was able to at least update to the v2.0 software through the manual process.  But it would just not respond to the 2.0.1 updater, and after several failed attempts I went digging and found the sysex file and played it in using Sysex Librarian (I use this often for other synths and patch loading). This all seemed to go as planned, until I rebooted it.  Now I have a completely bricked machine, no LED numerical display, no led lights, nada.  I tried the hard factory reset, and no response.  I went so far as to pull out my multimeter and make sure there's current coming into the unit and past the transformer (there is). No sound comes from hitting a key, and all I can hear is the familiar white noise "surf" sound of the chorus unit cycling.  The ONLY thing I've been able to get my poor 106 to do is to light up "load" when holding it down into boot mode, but it won't respond to re-sending the sysex file.  I don't know what could have gone wrong, I'd successfully updated the boot loader earlier to v2.0.  Btw I'm on OSX 10.10 (yosemite) and using an Iconnect Midi2 for the interface, which seems to be pretty well specced for this task.

It's looking like I too may have to have my unit reflashed.  Been a real slog, this unfortunately started out as an exciting DIY project but I've never really gotten to use it, because with the v1 unit I had installed wasn't able to get through the calibration settings without wildly off results for some of the key settings, and now the filter sounds wildly out of tune (when it's working at all).  Been dying to use the new sequencer feature even once.  I probably should have called a tech...

thanks,

Brian

jamespark
jamespark's picture
I am having the same issue

I am having the same issue with updating to 2.01. Using the Vyzex editor, transmitting v2.01 program doesn't work but choosing & transmitting K106_Prog_v201.SYX does make the lights move and seem to be updating the synth. Unfortunately when I power it off and back on, no lights turn on. Luckily, holding down the LOAD button when turning on the synth still lights up and I was able to downgrade back to K106_Prog_v200.SYX with a lights on and working synth again. I also tried this with SysEx Librarian and repeated with the no lights on for 2.01. Any suggestions on what to try next? Is there a way I can get the 2.00 Vyzex so I can at least edit the synth from the computer for the time being?

jamespark
jamespark's picture
I have been using the

I have been using the approved Yamaha UX16 MIDI interface.

soundshaper
soundshaper's picture
I would try transmitting both

I would try transmitting both the Bootloader AND the Firmware, as the wizard instructs originally.

jamespark
jamespark's picture
The bootloader was already

The bootloader was already version 2.00 which is why I had skipped reloading it before. However, soundshaper's suggestion is worth a try so I transmitted both the bootloader v2.00 & firmware v2.01. Using the following steps:

1) While pressing the Load button switch on the power. This is marked as OCTAVE RANGE on the Synthgraphic overlay
2) Play in the file K106_Boot_v200.SYX and wait until the SAVE light comes on
3) While pressing the Load button cycle the power

4) Play in the file K106_Prog_v201.SYX
5) Once the SAVE light comes on cycle the Power

Still the same no lights when switched on issue for firmware v2.01. I was able to load firmware v2.00 and get lights to switch on again afterwards, thankfully.

Psicraft Designs
Solutions

Ok guys, let's get this solved then.

Unfinder, I will contact you via email and we'll get you CPU board reflashed if you can send it to me in Canada.

James, I am going to contact you with the unreleased v2.02 editor software/firmware installer. It will be publicly released shortly, but you sound like you need it now.

Tony

jamespark
jamespark's picture
Any update of when the v2.02

Any update of when the v2.02 editor software/firmware installer will be released?

jamespark
jamespark's picture
The latest Vyzex installed

The latest Vyzex installed fine for me. I am now up an running with Boot Loader 2.01 and Main Program 2.03. Thank you!

Huddlemuff
Same issue not lights and inoperable... please help!

I am in the same boat. I've only had this a few days and was wanting to do the upgrade after I purchased it from Dave (of Syntegrator's YouTube fame)...   I cannot boot at all and would love some guidance on installing firmware without lights , if that is truly possible  thanks!

Mortenling
My Kiwi106 has also died !

Please help !

Hello ! I bought the Kiwi option a long time ago and have had a lot of troubles fixing it with help from Roland and private technicians who all have made their bit. yesterday I got all the voicechips changed - even though they seemed to work when I finally had a professional to help me - We changed them anyway with the analogue rennesaince chips - and the technician  trimmed the CV which seemed to have been the problem  - with the fails  I experienced before. When I got home I started the firmware update and it went into update mode - but didn't respond as it should - no indication of receiving data - but when the update finished it got into  the mode with the LEDs light as they should. - At som point it reacted when i played on the editor keyboard with the mouse - so some sort of MIDI got through - But it couldn't load the sounds and kept saying no contact to the keyboard. I tried several times to update it again - and at some point it just stopped reacting and all the LEDs was out - and it wound'nt even play a single note - so now it's dead - what shall I do ?

Did I understand you right I could send you the board for reset and update - because I realy don't know how to fix it - and don't know any with that expertice or time to do it - or it will be very expensive. 

Please help !