DCO out of tune after firmware upgrade

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
anakhouri
anakhouri's picture
DCO out of tune after firmware upgrade

Hi

My Juno 106 became out of tune after the firmware upgrade. Its about 16 cents flat.  I used a tuner to verify and I know the tuning changed after the update because I tried re-recording a patch on something that i had recorded the previous day and thats how I noticed it was flat.  I also noticed that if I turn the DCO slider by the bender all the way up to 10, it tuned it up just a tiny bit.  Im sort of confused about what happened or what to do.  I tried using the tuning knob on the back of the synth but it doesnt do anythingat all.  I cant remember the last time I used that knob but Im sure it worked at some point.  

Am I just missing something simple?  Any suggestions for troubleshooting?  

thanks

Sofine
Sofine's picture
Hi,

Hi,

There's an option in the Vyzex software editor Global settings (system section, top left) where you can change tuning settings - maybe this might help? It fixed a tuning issue for me

Cheers,

Simon

anakhouri
anakhouri's picture
fixed

Thanks Sofine, that did it!  The Vyzex was set to REAR TUNING KNOB SETS REFERANCE A but my tuning knob was not working.  I set it to the other setting to disable the tuning knob, and then set it back to the "REFERANCE A" andthe tuning knob now works.  I appreciate the help!

Sofine
Sofine's picture
No prob. Glad you sorted it

No prob. Glad you sorted it out!

Psicraft Designs
Psicraft Designs's picture
Thanks for the assist, Sofine

To clarify, the global tuning parameter either allows rear panel tuning (as in the original Juno-106) or it locks out the rear panel tuning knob and ensures A440 tuning at all times.

Since this is a new parameter for v2, it could have actually come up as a random value when v2 was installed. That would explain what you encountered. A way to safeguard against such things is to Factory Reset your synth after the update, but this would clear all your patches. 

Here's the 'absolute safest' way to update your synth to v2:

1. Back up the synth to a set file in the vyzex editor.
2. Run the firmware update to v2
3. Perform a factory reset (MANUAL+WRITE power up)
4. Open the backup set file and SYNC it back to the synth

Another way to get the same result without the factory reset would be to GET the global data from the synth, ensure the settings are what you want and then SYNC the global data back to the synth to ensure all those parameters are truly set to their reported values.

In the meantime I will look into adding a countermeasure to the editor that sniffs that particular parameter on initialization and does an individual refresh on it if the value comes back as invalid as a result of the update process.

Cheers,

Tony

BZ
Locked A440?

Can you explain how the tuning is locked to A440 when the option is set on?

After warmup, if I set the lock out option on (fixed A440), my Kiwi106 is 30cents flat (A332)... And that's on a fully calibrated machine (completed full calibration yesterday) and after full factory reset.

Cheers and thanks for the hard work!

julienvoirin
julienvoirin's picture
fake A440

I've got the same issue than BZ ! 106 is just unusable with other synths as it's out of tune :/ any help is appreciated

julienvoirin
julienvoirin's picture
solved

reverting to firmware 1.03 + replug the tune knob on module board (short circuit ??) + reupdate to 2.01 solved the issue

Psicraft Designs
Very odd...

Hi Julien,

I can't see how reverting to 1.03 and reupdating to 2.01 could have resolved this where a full factory reset did not. Anyone experiencing this should try toggling the parameter on and off in the editor to flush that memory location before they do any downgrade/upgrade cycle.

In the meantime I will do some torture testing here with a tuner and will let you guys know what I find out. If there's an issue in the 2.01 firmware we'll fix it for the pending v1.02 update that will address GreyFortress' reported MIDI MAP discrepancy.

Tony

Psicraft Designs
Yep, it's a bug alright

So far it seems like we have a firmware bug: The knob lockout appears to be setting the tuning to A433 as reported. The bug police have been called in and extermination is underway...

I'll post here when I have more information to share, but v2.02 should not have this problem.

Tony

Psicraft Designs
A new editor and firmware

A new editor and firmware build has been posted:

http://kiwi-106.com/download/vyzex_kiwi-106_v203_win

http://kiwi-106.com/download/vyzex_kiwi-106_v203_mac

I have not yet made the official announce as I would like you guys to check it out first to see if it resolves your tuning requirements.

Version 2.03 changes how the Master Tuning parameter works. Instead of 'Knob or A440 override' (which we saw didn't really work right) the global tuning parameter now lets you choose manual knob tuning (the default)  OR any choice of A from A436 to A456.

The firmware updater will skip the bootloader if you already have the v2.01 bootloader installed. This is not an issue since v2.01 boot is fully compatible with v2.03 program.

Please let me know how it goes - Once we've got enough feedback I will announce the downloads on the front page.

Thanks,

Tony

soundshaper
soundshaper's picture
Thanks Tony. Link is broken

Thanks Tony. Link is broken though. Do you have a shortlist of other improvements in this update?

Psicraft Designs
Try them now.

Looks like the CMS this site is built on likes to revert the URL aliases to 'automatic' when I modify their webforms... Nevermind - I fixed them now and those links will work. There are also links posted on the front page of the site, BTW.

You have the shortlist. We fixed the tuning issue. Other than this, Murray did address GreyFortress' reported mapping issue, but Grey did not have the time in his schedule to verify he was happy with the fix, so it's going in as-is and hopefully he'll find it all good later on.

This is 'it' as far as Murray is concerned. It's only going to be serious bug fixes from here on in, no new features or goodies will be added on the firmware side. I might however add one or two tweaks to the Vyzex Kiwi-106 editor, but this won't have any impact on the firmware/hardware side of things.

Tony

pilely
As we all know that and see

As we all know that and see that there held a film fare awards to motivate the work of different hard working celebrities. When watching PhD paper website we can watch awards online.